This is my entry to the latest challenge at PaperArtsy,' Doors, Windows and Architecture'. As I don't have any stamps featuring the above (at least none I could find in my chaotic craft room!!) so the first challenge was thinking of whether I could think of anything to do for it that did not involve buying more stamps!! Not that I am in any was against buying new 'pretties' but I have promised myself no new stuff until I can get into my craft room...sadly true. This is a major problem as I hate tidying and loovvve new pretties!
Anyhoo, one of my favourite mixed media artists is Seth Apter and thanks to PaperArtsy I have been lucky enough to attend a couple of his workshops. I love his paint techniques and decided to try and adapt one for this challenge, I have a brick stencil...brainwave....bricks are architectural....I'll do a brick wall. What I was going to do with the wall I had no further clue but it was a start!!
I should say that this will be my second challenge entry as my first idea is still a work in progress and has a long way to go. Now to get messy!!
Black Archival Ink
Posca Paint Pens
I started with a clothing label which I gessoed as it had lettering on it which I did not want to show through, after all who wants to know I buy all my clothes from Gucci...OK, all who know me can stop laughing and get off the floor!!
Once dry I then added Grunge paste through the stencil. Love this paste as it dries pretty rapidly and one of my pet hates and frustrations is drying time.
I then put one coat of paint (concrete) on the tag.
I then put some Slate on a piece of scrap card and spread it around with my finger... because I didn't want to wash brushes... lazy or what?
I then slapped the piece of card onto the tag. When the paint on the card had dried a little (which is very quick with Frescos depending on the thickness of the paint layer) I pressed the card more firmly onto the tag producing the effect you see below.
I carried on doing this, alternating between colours till I achieve the effect I wanted, the colours being Concrete, Slate, Terracotta and Mud Splat.
As a final finish I dry brushed Little Black Dress over the whole tag, focusing on the brick areas.
I liked the slate blotches on the tag and this gave me the idea of doing a graffiti style. So I then found some graffiti images and image transferred them onto the tag using matt medium. I also used a Jofe stamp of a flower border to imitate graffiti style text.Not sure if this worked but I liked the effect.
I also added a collage element to give the effect of a torn, shabby poster/advert, painted on a heart and did some more scribbling with my posca pens.
Thanks for having a look and as usual all mistakes are proudly my own.
Happy messiness to you all.